I originally created this blog to document my work on the family history of my grandmother, Maggie Goodfellow Story, later known as Madge Rogers. She was from Bewcastle. After it became evident that other family historians were attracted to the site, I invited them to share their memories and family histories from Bewcastle and the surrounding parishes. And so, it is evolving into a useful research tool for genealogists. Please note, if you want to read my original work, you will need to scroll down to the beginning of the blog and continue reading up.

If you have information that you would like to share here, or a question, you need to become a blog author and make a posting. To do this, contact me at rosemarydale3@yahoo.co.uk, and I will send you a permission. However, I can not respond to requests for further information or assistance.

Rosemary Dale




Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Link to a great website

Here is the site that I promised to place here ages ago, and I apologize to June for taking so long. This is a project whereby people are posting photos on a map grid of the UK. The shorter link is to the home page, and the longer link is to the Bewcastle page. Also, here are some photos I found there that link to our family history.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=2898548&page=1

Underwood Farm, where our grandmother's maternal grandfather grew up.

I think this is Shawhead on the left (where Gran's paternal grandfather lived and then Gran grew up there, and Shawhead Cottage on the right where her father and his two brothers lived as young men.
Knowe Church

Judging by the names this is close to Whintingstown and Shawhead.

2 comments:

Paul Dixon said...

Thanks for linking to Geograph, but please note that while you are welcome to reproduce images from in your blog, you must do so in accordance with the Creative Commons licence our contributors have adopted.

All this means is that you must credit the photographer of each image, for example, the Knowe United Reform Church was taken by Richard Dear.


Kind regards,

Paul
Geograph British Isles

Rosemary said...

The other photos here were all taken by Peter McDermott.