I originally created this blog to document my work on the family history of my grandmother, Maggie Goodfellow Story, later known as Madge Rogers. She was from Bewcastle. After it became evident that other family historians were attracted to the site, I invited them to share their memories and family histories from Bewcastle and the surrounding parishes. And so, it is evolving into a useful research tool for genealogists. Please note, if you want to read my original work, you will need to scroll down to the beginning of the blog and continue reading up.

If you have information that you would like to share here, or a question, you need to become a blog author and make a posting. To do this, contact me at rosemarydale3@yahoo.co.uk, and I will send you a permission. However, I can not respond to requests for further information or assistance.

Rosemary Dale




Tuesday, 14 May 2013

New Haughan Information

Thanks to the Annan FHS, I've found this entry in the Annan Old Church Kirk Session Minute Book, record dated 26 Apr 1850:
 
"Agnes Kinnear: Res. with husband William Roddick, Merkland, Kirkpatrick Fleming. Previously res. with mother at Dumbretton.  Has two children aged 8 and 5 still unbaptized. Minister of KPF to rule on discipline an restoration of privileges.
Fathers: Wm Heughan (sic.) of Bewcastle and Robert Carruthers."
 
There are only the two William Heughan (Haughan) in the 1841 census and the father was presumably running out of steam in that department, dying after a very (re)productive life in 1848.  So, I assume Wm was a chip off the ol' block at the age of 21 and just a year before his own marriage to Margaret Johnston at Gretna Green.
 
In the 1851 Scottish census, Wm and Agnes are shown living in Kirkpatrick Fleming.  The two oldest children are both born Annan 1842 and 1844, respectively Elizabeth and Margaret (both surnames recorded as Roddick).  Subsequent children are born Kirkpatrick Fleming. There is a four year gap between Margaret and the next Roddick child.
Elizabeth went on to marry John Law in Longtown in 1860. 
 
All this is new to me but if anyone has any further info I would love to hear from them.
 
Rgds, Sue Barnes

No comments: