I originally created this blog to document my work on the family history of my grandmother, Maggie Goodfellow Story, later known as Madge Rogers. She was from Bewcastle. After it became evident that other family historians were attracted to the site, I invited them to share their memories and family histories from Bewcastle and the surrounding parishes. And so, it is evolving into a useful research tool for genealogists. Please note, if you want to read my original work, you will need to scroll down to the beginning of the blog and continue reading up.

If you have information that you would like to share here, or a question, you need to become a blog author and make a posting. To do this, contact me at rosemarydale3@yahoo.co.uk, and I will send you a permission. However, I can not respond to requests for further information or assistance.

Rosemary Dale




Friday, 13 March 2015

William Haughan info contact

Stephen is researching William Haughan. Please leave any feedback in a comment. Thanks, Rosemary.

Hello
 
I am just researching my maternal family tree. My name is Stephen Hay and I am from Gateshead, my Mother'ss great great Grandfather was from Bewcastle. I was wondering if you are aware of the name Haughan, William Haughan was the last of my family to live in the parish.
 
Thanks
 
Stephen Hay

2 comments:

michael jackson said...

Nicholas Haughan was tenant of Oakshaw and High Sowerbies from 1793 until 1811 when he was in Carlisle Gaol for debt. At High Sowerbies he took over from Francis Haughan who had been tenant there from about 1761.
Nicholas was out of gaol by at least 1830 and was tenant of Crossings until his death there in 1831.
Various Haughan names appear in the Bewcastle Militia Lists between 1797-1831 but only as name,age, profession, and any reason why they should not serve, ie.lame etc.

Susan Barnes said...

Do you have a date for your William Haughan? I have several in my tree.